As they say, “The eyes are the windows to the soul.” However, what if you have a sudden blurry vision in one eye? What are the possible causes and treatments you can apply? You can contact the specialists at armadale-eye.com.au to know more about this. The eyes are essential organs of our body and serve as our way of connecting to another person. Aside from that, the eyes help us view the surroundings and define how we react to what’s happening.
Potential causes of sudden blurry vision in one eye
A blurry vision is a condition wherein it becomes dull but affecting only one eye. The eyes have components that can cause blurry vision when they appear problematic. These components of the eyes are the cornea, retina, or optic nerve. Any of these can affect the accuracy of an individual’s visual capacity.
Let us find out the exact potential causes of blurry vision and then discuss what treatments can control this eye condition.
- Bleeding in the eye (hyphema): This condition can happen when you encounter an injury in your eye.
- Dry eyes: It is a condition wherein your tears cannot provide adequate lubrication for the eyes. This condition can cause damage to the eyes’ surface.
- Eye strain: If you are looking over something without a break, it can cause eye strain. For example, you are using an electronic device such as a computer or a cellphone. Our eyes deserve some break also to prevent eye strain. An eye strain can also include headaches, dry eyes, and pain in the muscles and neck.
- Corneal abrasion: A scrape on the eye’s surface can cause blurry vision as well. Your fingernail can cause a scratch like this.
- An infection (conjunctivitis): They also refer to this as the pink eye with inflamed tissue. In this condition, your eyelids can become swollen, while your eyes are red with mucus secretion.
- Optic neuritis: It is a condition wherein there is an impairment in the optic nerve. Its quick progression can cause eye pain and vision loss in a few days or weeks. The optic nerve is the bundle of nerve fibers that transmit visual information from the eyes to our brain. It can affect one or both the optic nerve of the eyes, either children or adults.
Other health conditions causing blurry vision
Aside from the causes mentioned above, there can also be serious causes why you have blurry vision. These medical emergencies require treatment as soon as possible to prevent permanent damage and vision loss.
- Detached retina: This condition occurs when a part of the retina tears away from the back of the eye. As a result, it loses its blood and nerve supply.
- Stroke: It is a health issue wherein the brain does not get sufficient oxygen and vision. Other body functions can become impaired as well.
- Diabetes: If an individual has high blood sugar content in the body, it can result in water being pulled into the lens. As a result, swelling and blurry vision can occur.
- Macular degeneration: The macula deteriorates, which leads to blurry vision. An extreme version of this condition can affect reading, driving, and even seeing other people’s faces.
- Giant cell arteritis (temporal arteritis): This is a condition wherein you have inflammation of the blood vessels near your temples. Several issues can occur if you have this, such as fatigue, fever, loss of appetite, and many more.
Several more causes can lead to blurry vision or vision loss. If you already notice or have any of the grounds mentioned above, seek a doctor’s help. It would be best to take action as soon as possible. You may never know how worse your condition can be in the long run.
Under those circumstances, let me give you some of the treatment options associated with blurry vision.
Treatment options for a blurry vision
Every treatment will depend on the cause of the illness. In like manner, a blurry vision has different treatment options depending on its grounds. Aside from that, underlying causes or conditions might also need treatment to work out the blurry vision.
However, before you come up with treatment options, your doctor will have their diagnosis first. They may conduct various eye tests and physical examinations of your eyes. If ever a possibility of an underlying medical issue arises, they might even do blood tests on you.
Treatments may include eye drops, surgery, or medicines. Additionally, wearing eyeglasses or contact lenses is also possible. You will only know the right treatment option if you visit your eye doctor and get your eyes checked. You can contact Eye Laser Specialists in Melbourne today if you want to treat your blurry vision.
Tips to prevent blurry vision
The eyes are just as important as the other organs of the body. The eyes help all of us to put a sense of how the world looks like. It is not only the physical surroundings but also our outlook towards what we see. So, it is essential to get eye treatment as soon as possible.
Nobody wants a damaged eye, impaired optic nerve, nor permanent vision loss. In that case, here are some of the preventive measures that you can apply to keep the eyes healthy.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet that is rich in nutrients to keep the eyes healthy.
- Do regular exercises. Regular exercise will prevent you from getting illnesses that can develop a blurry vision.
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from sun exposure.
- Avoid smoking since it can damage your optic nerve. Aside from that, other health issues can also occur due to smoking.
- If you use contact lenses, ensure that your fingers are clean before putting or taking them off from your eyes. Always follow the instructions to prevent infection.
- Your eyes also deserve enough rest. You can follow the 20-20-20 rule to relax your eyes.
To keep your eyes functioning well, you have to care for them as well. On the condition that you felt something is not right with your eyes, proceed to the doctor immediately. It would be best to have it checked as soon as possible. Causes and treatments differ based on your condition.
Aside from that, doing primary care for your eyes will also be a big help to maintain good eyesight. Healthy eyes, wealthy vision!